This post may contain affiliate links, so I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check out the disclosure for more info. And thank you for supporting free content!
Actors Headshots: Best Headshot Photographers in Los Angeles
Shooting your first headshot can be intimidating. There is so much to think about and they are expensive, so you want to get them right!
I have compiled a list of the top L.A. headshot photographers because I know that finding the right photographer can be daunting and time consuming.
You want the best headshot you can get, and you also want to shoot with a photographer that is going to be right for you and your career right now.
Over the course of my career I’ve shot with dozens of photographers across North America and Europe, changing my headshots when my looks changed, branding or to suit the current market.
Every actor is unique, just like the photographers listed below. Here are some of the top headshot photographers in LA.
QUICK TIPS and FAQ
“Commercial” is just like it sounds, meant for commercials. Shots tent to feature brighter colors and patterns, and be brightly lit.
“Theatrical” means film and television in industry lingo and tends to be more dramatic and often a little darker shots. These should really convey depth and character
FOR WOMEN: You will absolutely need someone to do you make-up and light hair styling. Unless you are very experienced in film and television photography I wouldn’t recommend doing this yourself, so there is an added expense. The current going rate is $150 – $175. I know, it sucks, but it’s really a must!
FOR MEN: Having hair and light make-up done is a real game changer. There’s not an actor on the planet who steps in front of a camera without having this done. The cost is a little bit less for men, usually around $125.
Find a Great Headshot Photographer in Los Angeles!
Here are some tips to remember when choosing a photographer:
- Find a photographer you’ll be comfortable shooting with and shoots people who look like YOU. Many photographers today will offer a quick Zoom consult. This is a good tome to get a feel for the person, their style and to see if you’re a good fit to work together. It’s also way more comfortable than meeting them for the first time on the day of your shoot. To get great headshots, you’ve absolutely got to be comfortable with your photographer!
- Look very carefully at their website and portfolio. You can tell a lot from the look and feel of someone’s website. Do you instantly love their work? Does it go well with your style and brand? Or do you see actor headshots in their portfolio that you really don’t like? If that’s the case, even if a fantastic actor, agent or coach recommended them, they probably aren’t going to work well for you.
- Pricing. I’ve listed the last posted starting prices here, but be sure to look at all of the pricing options. Maybe you need 2 looks or three? What is going to work for you right now. Be clear on how many looks and photos you get as well as the cost of retouching…. And yes, everything will need to be retouched and color corrected at least a little!
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Some suggestion are:
- How many changes does this include
- How many shots will I get to chose from?
- Do I get high resolution shots?
- When will I get the proof and how do I view them.
- How much for hair and make-up?
- How many changes of clothes should I bring in total?
- What colors or patterns should I avoid?
- How much is retouching?
Los Angeles has some of the best headshot photographers in the biz! Check them out and find the headshot photographer who is perfect for you.
Like this post or love it? Tweet it. Post it. Pin it. Share it with actor friends!
It’s a tough business and we could all use a little help!
* Please Note: I am not an agent, manager, or casting director. I do not procure work for actors. All information, workshops and coaching are for educational purposes only and are not a guarantee or promise of employment. Thank you for being here!